The Lady Lions concluded their season at the Region V North Tournament hosted by Texas Wesleyan this past weekend.
After 3 tough matches to get to the finals, the Lions could not seal the deal as they faced off vs. Conference foe Hill College.
Match 1 vs Ranger
The Lions swept Ranger to open the tournament on Thursday behind impressive offensive performances from Jenna Hampton and Kamryn Weaver. Hampton had 12 kills at a .296 clip and Weaver chipped in 13 at a .417 clip. Freshman Makenzie Buish made her debut at libero with 9 Digs. The match advanced the Lions to Round 2 vs. Hill College on Friday.
Match 2 vs Hill
The Lions had a great statistical match, and battled until the last point in the 5th set. They outhit the Rebels .235 to .217 and out scored them 79.5 points to 69 points, but it wasn't enough to close off the 15-17 loss in the 5th set. The offensive firepower was run by sophomore Averi Foster who had three players in double digit kills. Kaleigh Conger posted 14, Jenna Hampton 17, and Kamryn Weaver a season high 20 Kills. Defensively, Sophomore Madison Little paved the way with 12 Digs, Freshman Makenzie Buish 12 Digs, and Kamryn Weaver rounded out a double - double with her 10 Dig performance.
Match 3 vs Ranger
The Lions returned to face Ranger on day 3 in an elimination match up. An impressive all around performance from the whole team sealed the 4 set Victory that led to them back to the championship. Kaleigh Conger posted a double double with 16 Kills and 11 Digs, and Kamryn Weaver had her second double double with 13 Kills and 13 Digs. Freshman Makenzie Buish had her season high dig performance with 23, for Averi Foster to set up.
Match 4 vs Hill
The Championship Match featured the NCTC Lions and the Hill College Rebels, a repeat of 2016's Regional Tournament Championship. The Lions did what they could to battle to 5 sets, but ultimatley Hill College came away with the win in a tough 5th set. Again, Averi Foster had three players in double digit kills including Kaleigh Conger, Jenna Hampton and Kamryn Weaver. Three players had double digit defensive efforts including Kaleigh Conger once mmore, Madison Little, and Makenzie Buish.
- The team finishes second in Region V for the third year in a row
- The Lions went 9-3 in Conference Play
- The team finishes nationally seated top 50 in multiple categories including: 35th in Total Kills, 29th in Total Assists, 14th in Service Aces, 16th in Block Solos, and 29th in Points Scored
- Jenna Hampton finishes the season nationally ranked 42nd in Block Solos and 36th in Points Scored / Set
- Kamryn Weaver finishes the season nationally ranked 47th in Total Service Aces
- Averi Foster finishes the season nationally ranked 22nd in Total Assists and 7th in Assists / Set
- Bre Crain finishes the season nationally ranked 30th in Digs / Set and 53rd in Total Digs despite a season ending injury